Updated: May 9, 2019
As groomers, we are often asked, “What is the best puppy shampoo?” We would all love to give an exact, universal answer to this question, but it really depends on your pup and their needs. Shampoos are formulated for different needs: gentle cleaning, moisturizing, deodorizing, sensitive skin, organic ingredients, etc. One shampoo used on one puppy may not be the most ideal shampoo used on another puppy.
When deciding which is the best puppy shampoo to purchase, keep in mind that you want a shampoo that is formulated for puppies; otherwise it can dry out the skin. Since puppies can be super wiggly during bath time, you also want to make sure that it is a tearless shampoo. The next thing to consider is what you are trying to accomplish during bath time:
· Is my pup super dirty?
· Is my pup super smelly?
· Is my pup itchy?
· Is my pup starting to develop tangles?
· Does my pet have a short coat or a long coat?
· Does my pup seem to have dry skin?
· Does my pup seem to have skin allergies or sensitivities?
Answering these questions will help guide you to the best puppy shampoo. Avoid buying cheap and sometimes harmful products and we definitely recommend against making your own puppy shampoo!
Here are some wonderful options that will get your puppy feeling good and smelling great, with links to where you can buy the best puppy shampoo for your pup!
Isle of Dogs Tearless Puppy Shampoo
Use for: all breeds, smelly pups
· Sulfate and Paraben free which makes this shampoo super gentle
· ExtenScent, a natural odor-neutralizing complex, extends freshness
Pet Head Puppy Fun!! Tearless Shampoo
Use for: Long-haired breeds, pups with itchy or dry skin
· Super gentle and free of chemicals
· Shea butter to moisturize the coat
· Safflower Oil to soothe and nourish the skin
Earth Bath Hypo-Allergenic Shampoo
Use for: pups with developing skin allergies or sensitivities
· Mild, safe, non-irritating
· Soap free
Warren London 2-in-1
Use for: Long-haired puppies, pups started to get tangled
· High quality natural ingredients
· Adds the perfect softness and shine to the coat
· Soap free
· Long-lasting coconut scent
John Paul Pet Tearless Shampoo
Use for: puppies who might have itchy skin or skin sensitivities
· Sensitive skin formula
· Fortified with aloe, chamomile, and oatmeal
· Deodorizes, soothes, and conditions
Kin + Kind Puppy Shampoo
Use for: all breeds if you prefer an organic ingredient shampoo
· Gentle, Scent-free soap
· Made with organic ingredients
Petology Puppy Faces
Use for: puppies who might have skin sensitivities or allergies
· Formulated for sensitive skin
· Rinses quickly